Inspiring Me, the WAHM Wannabe

I am a young working mother dreaming big of becoming a work-at-home-mom. In the meantime, I am juggling a career, life with my fantastic family, my passion for projects of the craftsy kind, and all other things I like, wanna like and will like along the way. All this and still trying my darnest to look great! CHEER ME ON!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Dressing Up for the Non-Existent Party

I was dressed to kill last night, one the few nights since having the baby that I actually get to primp and pamper. Too bad I wasn’t able to really show off. Dammit! See, we were personally invited by one of Tots’ biggest clients to his wife’s birthday party. We crossed paths with Big Client at Mamma Maria’s Pizza and they talked a bit. Not really minding what was being said, I did get snippets of talk on how renovation was going on at his Robinson’s outlet. Then he invited us to the birthday dinner.

So as we were driving home last night, my husband joked about how dinner was gonna be free the next night, Monday. I jovially pointed out that we still had to get Madam a present, making the score between him and Big Client even. I remember asking him what Big Client meant about August 14 and Tots said it was the re-opening of his store. Oh, okay.

Being out of touch with the party scene for so long certainly has its disadvantages. I was stumped on what to wear! I didn’t know what kind of shindig Big Client was throwing but since it was gonna be over at their house where guests would also include their younger, hipper employees, I figured that jeans were okay. Dressy denims, of course! I chose a pair of nice, stretch jeans I hadn’t worn in a really looong time. Gawd, I had to struggle to get in! I was glad Tots wasn’t yet home to see me jumping up and down just to get the waistband past my hips. But the effort was well worth it. My legs actually looked thinner, my butt miraculously firmer. Paired with a low cut spaghetti strap blouse (another item that hasn’t seen daylight in, like, eons) that showed off just enough cleavage (hooray for breastfeeding!), I was a picture of confidence. Strappy stilettos, make-up, faux diamond hairclips, and other accessories completed the look.

Tots arrived just about the time I was done. I could see he liked what he saw. Although the first thing he blurted out was a playful “You’re fat.” I glared at him and he ducked my attempt to mock-punch him. “You’re not supposed to say that to a woman!” I protested. “Ok, ok, I take it back. You look hot,” he said as he held me close. “But you’re still fat,” he grinned. I sighed. There was a lot of truth to that. Ok, so gained a little weight (ok, a lot!). Hmph, try getting pregnant and see if you don't put on the pounds. Or rather, try getting a watermelon to sqeeze through a hole the size of a hose and double check your urge to lift weights again. But I still felt confident. While my spaghetti strap blouse couldn’t hide the little flab that took up residence on my arms, my getup was still tasteful. (Hahaha, I was counting on my bosom to take away attention from everything else.) And thank goodness its cut was designed to be a little flowy and it hid my tummy bulges well. The fat jokes over and done with, I fussed over the baby while Tots got ready.

We drove over to Big Client’s house, located at one of the posh subdivisions. Very old-guard, the area was littered with moneyed sugar barons (hacienderos). When we got to their street, I noticed there were no other cars near their house. Tots said we were probably early. I remember asking him if he was sure the party would be at their home and he replied that he wasn’t that sure anymore.

Anyway, a maid let us in and directed us to the backyard patio where Big Client and his family, along with a couple of people, were lounging. I could tell Big Client was surprised to see us.

“Did I forget to give you the check?” he joked in his trademark booming voice. He saw the gift I held and he realized why we were there. “Oh, the party! Didn’t I tell you it was on the 14th? It’s on the day of my store opening next Monday!”

Tots was pretty cool about the whole thing. He made some witty remark to which both of them laughed (he was always a pretty quick and witty thinker, my hubby) which led to small talk about work and business and everything else. Meanwhile, Big Client’s wife and I talked, too, which was great because when we got around to craftsy stuff, she seemed genuinely interested. I can see a future client now, yahoo!

We didn’t stay long. The other people that were with them were family members who were over for a business meeting. They did make sure we said yes to the real party the following week. And say yes we did.

All my effort to look great that night didn’t totally go to waste, though. As we careened the avenues out of the village, Tots said he was taking me out to dinner. Lucky me, I was all ready for a date :P

4 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger roxiegirl said...

Aaaaawwwsss, shweet hubby of yours! Nothing beats a well deserved impromptu date with your one and only, eh? Feel the love!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lucky you to be all dressed up and ready to paint the town red. My hubby took me out on a surprise date and to say that I looked frumpy that day would have been a major understatement.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Chateau said...

Our hubbies always say we're fat, but it's what they find irresistible naman. They just don't want to admit it! :)

 
At 5:42 AM, Anonymous C5 @ Under My Fingertips said...

I ended up reading your defunct blog before reading your WBFC entry! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home